Church of Our Lady of Rosary
Church of Our Lady of Rosary is one of the oldest churches of Goa. It is located atop the western side of the Holy hill or Monte Santo overlooking the Mandovi river and Divar Island. According to the historians it was the very site where Alfonso de Albuquerque guided his troops to victory in 1510. This church was entrusted to the care of the Franciscans in the year 1544. . It was held in great veneration by the public as it was here that St. Francis Xavier used to teach catechism every evening to the public who flocked together at the sound of a little bell he rang.
Beauty of Church of Our Lady of Rosary
The church has the appearance of a fortress, having openings in its wall to visualize invaders. . Built of laterite and plastered with lime mortar, it has a two-storied portico. The portico as well as the façade of the church has rounded towers on either side with the cross on top. The roof of the church is tiled, supported by wooden rafters. Its design is simple, in front of its altar lies the tombstone of Garcia de Sa, one of the early governors of Goa. Its interior is simple and the main altar of which bears the image of Nossa Senhora de Rozario or Our Lady of the Rosary
The architecture of the church of Our Lady of the Rosary is in the form of Cruciform with a square apse. The choir gallery is above the entrance . The church has two chapels and three altars. The main altar is dedicated to our Lady of the Rosary. To the right of the main altar is a marble cenotaph commemorating Dona Catarina whose marriage with Viceroy Garcia De Sa was performed by St. Francis Xavier. The cenotaph slightly projecting from the wall is artistically decorated with carved miniature pillars and inscriptions in Portuguese and has a triangular pediment crowned by a shell moulding. The architecture resembles the Manueline style.
The church Our Lady of the Rosary was built in fulfillment of a vow taken by Afonso de Albuquerque while reviewing the battle between his forces and those of the Bijapur sultan .
How to Reach Church of Our Lady of the Rosary
You can use the local transport means of Old Goa to reach the church. Taxis, auto rickshaws and motorcycle taxis can be hired.