At a distance of 8.6 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 27 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station and 24 km from Mapusa, The Convent and Church of St John is situated in North Goa.
The Convent and Church of St John located to the east of the tower of St. Augustine. This church was built in 1685 and it is dedicated to Our Lady of Good Success. It is a simple looking building. The convent was abandoned in 1835.
This convent was repaired by the Portuguese Military Force, stationed there till December 1961 when Goa was liberated by the Indian Army. The convent was erected by some members of the Congregation of St. John of God. This Congregation was only of the Brothers who looked after the sick in the hospitals. In the beginning eight brothers had arrived in the City of Goa in 1685, sent by Portuguese King Dom Pedro II. The brothers worked in several hospitals in and outside India. They lived on alms when the suppression of the religious orders came in 1835, the convent was used as a Hospital for the poor.
It gradually declined in importance until 1844 when the building was bought by the nuns of St Monica to be used as residence for their chaplains and confessors. The roof of the church was removed in 1850. The present roof was built recently.
In May 1964, the Sisters of the Congregation of the Portuguese Franciscan Hospitallers took charge of the old convent. Franciscan nuns who run an Old Age Home now occupy the church and convent.
It is comparatively simple in style and was completely restored by the Portuguese just before they were expelled from Goa. It basically exhibits the architectural styles that were popular at the far end of the Portuguese rule in Goa.