The Gate Of The Palace Of Adil Shah, Goa
Adil Shah was a Muslim ruler who once controlled the land of Goa from Bijapur in Karnataka state. The empire of Adil Shah was attacked on numerous occasions by other Kings however, he held on to Goa until the Portuguese arrived and snatched Goa from him.
The Palace of Adil Shah at Old Goa was the most prominent building with magnificent lofty staircases. It was the residence of the Portuguese governors till 1695, and was afterwards used by them on festive occasions. It was deserted during the epidemic in the 18th century, was demolished in 1820 and the materials carried to Panjim for construction of houses.
Adil Shah had however, left his mark on Goa by constructing a beautiful palace in Goa. The palace constructed in a mix style of Hindu as well as Muslim architecture was one of the main attractions in Goa until it was demolished in 1820 for construction of better houses. The archway/gateway of pillars carved out of basalts holding up a horizontal lintel are all that was left of the once beautiful palace. The palace, prior to destruction, was the residence of the Portuguese Governer until 1696.
Now only the gate remains which is architecturally purely Brahminical in style. Six steps in front of the gate lead to the raised platform on which the gate stands. It is made of basalt and consists of a horizontal lintel resting on pillars decorated with mouldings and having on the outer side fragmentary perforated screens.